Padma Baliga was on a mission to set up classroom libraries, till Covid-19 stopped her forever

SHARE:

When people ask me, “Do kids read these days?” in a disbelieving tone, I want to ask them, “Have you tried giving kids books? Books they w...

When people ask me, “Do kids read these days?” in a disbelieving tone, I want to ask them, “Have you tried giving kids books? Books they want to read? Giving them to kids who have no books to read?”

Padma Baliga took to hashtagging her social media posts at least three years before I did. A vocal feminist, her write-ups on phenomenal women have a liberal sprinkling of the word “badass”. Kickass, too.

And she seems to have liked SRK.

I am not even one-tenth down her Facebook timeline and am already enamoured of her.

But first, the reason I’m stalking her online.


Padma, as she insisted on being addressed by one and all, and I had never met. Our interactions had been limited to a one-off on Facebook over children’s literature, mostly Indian, and a few emails exchanged back and forth over the books she would occasionally place an order with me for, for the many libraries that she was setting up. She had once also reached out to congratulate me on one of my books that she found particularly engaging.

When I learnt of her death from Covid-19 on May 12, I put out a small note for her on Facebook. She belonged to our close-knit kidlit...

Read more



Name

News,986,NEWS,16387,
ltr
item
india today news 4 u: Padma Baliga was on a mission to set up classroom libraries, till Covid-19 stopped her forever
Padma Baliga was on a mission to set up classroom libraries, till Covid-19 stopped her forever
https://s01.sgp1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/article/160131-xwgsmdyrvv-1623249079.jpg
india today news 4 u
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/2021/06/padma-baliga-was-on-mission-to-set-up.html
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/2021/06/padma-baliga-was-on-mission-to-set-up.html
true
3880704039001943330
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy