How a farmers’ march in 2018 entered Anita Agnihotri’s newly translated novel in real time

SHARE:

I had already written a sizeable portion of The Sickle in 2018 when I found myself perturbed at visuals on the TV screen of innumerable fa...

I had already written a sizeable portion of The Sickle in 2018 when I found myself perturbed at visuals on the TV screen of innumerable farmers marching 180 kilometres barefoot from Nashik to Azad Maidan in Mumbai. I was able to see an underlying connection between the politics of droughts in Marathwada, the uncertain lives of migrant sugarcane labourers who are bereft of rights, the aftermath to the suicides of farmers in Vidarbha, and the march undertaken by tribal peasants.

Shortly afterwards I travelled to the Surgana subdivision on the border between Nashik and Surat, where tribals have been farming the forest land adjacent to the hills for generations without getting leases. The thoughts of the march began with their protests. I saw signs of these extinct forests where they farm now. The land had not been measured, nor had leases been given, although all of this should have been done under the Forest Rights Act. The farmers were worried that the government land would be taken away under the pretext of creating land banks for industrial houses, that tribal farmers would lose their land as well as their livelihood.

After meeting them, I followed the route of the long march to Nashik. Defying the instructions...

Read more



Name

News,1083,NEWS,16387,
ltr
item
india today news 4 u: How a farmers’ march in 2018 entered Anita Agnihotri’s newly translated novel in real time
How a farmers’ march in 2018 entered Anita Agnihotri’s newly translated novel in real time
https://s01.sgp1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/article/155929-veoaevealx-1615208987.jpg
india today news 4 u
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/2021/03/how-farmers-march-in-2018-entered-anita.html
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/
https://indiatodaynews4u.blogspot.com/2021/03/how-farmers-march-in-2018-entered-anita.html
true
3880704039001943330
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy